Oh I do love when the temperature drops. Goodbye singlets and tees, hello oh-so-comfy knits and tracksuits. Also? Autumn marks the arrival of new seasonal produce, heartier meals and warm gooey desserts. The only thing about this fancy fare is that it can take a while to whip up. If you have a life outside food production (don’t we all?!) I've got you covered with our quick Autumn recipes the whole family will love.
Before we get cracking, here’s a list of seasonal produce that’s ripe and ready for you this autumn in Australia. Stock up and eat fresh. Bonus points if you shop local - not only does it taste better, it supports small, local businesses.
Quick Green Pasta
20 Minutes + Super Easy
Add a slew of green veg to typical pasta for an antioxidant hit. Best of all, you can substitute for any greens that your kids will eat. Add a dash of parmesan and you’ve got yourself a tasty plate in 20 minutes. Boom!
- 6 spring onions
- 1 leek
- 1 large handful of broccoli spears
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 100 g frozen spinach
- 2 large handfuls of frozen peas
- 450 g dried pasta
- 50 g Parmesan cheese , plus extra to serve
- extra virgin olive oil
- optional: fresh herbs , to serve
Peanut Chicken Coconut Curry
10 Minutes + Super Easy
A few hacks like pre-cut chicken and packet rice make this recipe totally achievable on a school night. Full of flavour without the fuss, it’s a staple at my place.
- 1 brown onion
- 55g (1/3 cup) unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1 long fresh red chilli
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 450g pkt microwave long-grain rice
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 270g can coconut cream
- 250ml (1 cup) Massel Chicken Style Liquid Stock
- 130g (1/2 cup) Sanitarium Crunchy Peanut Butter
- 500g bought dicedchicken breast
- 140g (1 cup) pre-shredded carrot
- 100g baby spinach Lime wedges, to serve (optional)
- Select all ingredients
Healthy Lamb Moussaka
25 Minutes + Super Healthy
If the fam are sick of lasagne, the Greek version, Moussaka is healthier and arguably easier to make. Perfect for cooler nights and a great leftover lunch option too.
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 teaspoon fresh or minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 medium courgette, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 2 large red potatoes, skin on, grated, squeezed of excess moisture
- 400g jar tomato passata
- 50g crumbled feta
- ¼ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- 2 cups steamed broccoli florets, to serve
Quick Apple Crumble
10 Minutes + Super Healthy
Apple crumble, creamy vanilla ice-cream and autumn go together like…well all of those things! This toasty dessert is an easy crowd-pleaser and you’ve likely already got the ingredients hanging around.
- 2 sweet apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup nuts
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp coconut shredded
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- a pinch of salt
BONUS: Plan it out!
Now that you’re likely starving/excited about the delicious produce and recipe options available, why not plan it out? You know what they say, once it’s written on a wall planner, it’s OFFICIAL.
- want a planner to last you years (it's made of acrylic, not that flimsy magnetic material)
- love to meal plan
- love to write your shopping list in the same place
- want to mount it on your fridge or wall with 3M strips
Not sure if this menu planner is right for you? Read our 5-star reviews from other busy parents here.
Happy planning and dining!